December 6, 2010
• The record for running a marathon by a male over 50 years old who has competed in more than 200 rugby matches is 3:40:36, held by nine different individuals.
• At any given moment, there are more people flying over New Jersey than any other state.
• The average Nigerian with an email account gets 4 emails per year indicating that he or she is eligible to receive a large sum of money.
• The average age of first time grandparents in Louisiana is 41, by far the lowest in the 48 contiguous states.
• The average fifty-year-old American has 1,132 pictures in his or her "My Pictures" folder on his or her personal computer.
December 15, 2010
• At establishments that have self-service salad bars that charge for the offerings on a per-pound basis, watermelon is the most profitable offering and bacon bits is the least profitable.
• The most commonly used non-sensical phrase in english is "I could care less"; the speaker really means, "I could not care less." The second-most common nonsensical phrase is "...will try and...", as in "He will try and make it.", when the speaker really means, "He will try TO make it."
• It's impossible to be within the borders of the state of New Jersey and be more than 8.4 miles from a public park.
• The Automobile Association of America has calculated that the average male driver is 18 percent better at parallel parking than the average female driver.
• In 1999, 154 driver's license applicants in the United States failed their "practical test" (commonly referred to as the 'road test') due being intoxicated when arriving at the testing facility.
December 25, 2010
• Among Americans 45 years of age or more, the favorite version of Charles Dickens's A Christmas Carol is the animated Mr. Magoo rendition.
• Eight percent of British citizens know more than the first line of "Good King Wenceslas".
• More port wine is consumed between 24 December and 1 January than any other time of year.
• The town of Bethlehem, located near present-day Israel, experienced a total lunar eclipse at 12:25 AM on December 25th in the year 1225 and the totality lasted 12 minutes 25 seconds. When word of the event reached the Vatican three weeks later, Pope Honorius III declared it a miracle.
• Reindeer and muledeer share 99.876 percent of their genomes.