August 9, 2010
• When he was in his early 20s, future US President Harry S Truman was an expert marksman with a slingshot.
• Warren G. Harding is the only US President to use a rowing machine in the White House for exercising.
• George W. Bush attended 11 Bruce Springsteen concerts prior to being elected Governor of Texas.
• President Calvin Coolidge discarded all underclothing after its third use.
• William Henry Harrison changed his middle name from Horace to Henry on his twenty-first birthday.
August 17, 2010
• Fewer than 1.4 percent of Americans citizens entered a speakeasy during the Prohibition Era.
• During the Prohibition Era, most so-called 'bathtub gin' was actually made in a wooden wash basin.
• The Academy of Forensic Economists determined that Prohibition accounted for roughly twenty percent of the decline in tourists visiting the U.S. from England, France, Germany and Italy during the time the 18th Amendment was in effect.
• On a per capita basis, more Americans took up residence in Canada during Prohibition than during the Viet Nam Era, but not as many as during the George W. Bush administration.
• During Prohibition, Angus M. MacAngus, a dairy farmer in Lititz, PA, tried to distill urine from his diabetic cows and bulls but the sugar content was not sufficient to convert to alcohol.
August 26, 2010
• In 2008, 5.02 percent of baseballs used in Major League Baseball games were used for only one pitch.
• The US Treasury estimates that in 2009 there were approximately 87,114 Americans who literally keep their money in their mattress.
• In 2009, the average price for a pair of prescription eyeglasses in the United States was $187.69
• Between 1993 and 2008, Denver, CO experience 20 or more days in a row of sunny weather 23 separate times.
• Statisticians have determined that the average statistician is 8 percent more useful to society than the average attorney.
August 27, 2010
• The average height of all cigarette smokers in the United States is 5' 3 1/2"
• Among current and former cigarette smokers in the United Kingdom, the average length of time that they have been smoking is 18.4 years.
• Among Americans who smoke more than ten cigarettes per day, 0.4 percent exceed 6' 4" in height.
• The average number of cigarettes consumed per day by smokers in the Europe is 18.4
• The number of cigarettes shown in US-made movies has dropped from 89.4 per film in 1940 to 5.3 in 2005.