May 1, 2008
• The weight supported by the average office-worker's desk peaked in 1992 with an average load of 14 lbs 8 oz.
• In 2006, 8 people in required overnight hospitalization due to being struck by falling coconuts in the Caribbean.
• Among those expressing any preference, 87 percent of men responding to a survey said they'd pick a backhoe as the piece of heavy equipment they'd most like to own. Among women, the most-selected equipment was a jackhammer.
• Fifty-seven percent of Americans over the age of 55 years, 3 months have more than one pair of eyeglasses.
• According to the U.S. Army training manual, a 'trench' must be at least 22 inches deep, otherwise it is a 'furrow'.
May 5, 2008
• On May 2, 1958, the last potato farm in Nassau County, NY was ploughed under for a new housing development.
• There are 16 municipalities in the United States that use the British spelling of "centre" in their name.
• In the past 35 years, colleges and universities in and around Boston have enrolled more students from New York than Massachusetts.
• Approximately two percent of female golfers are naturally right handed and play golf left handed. Among men, the rate is approximately .052 percent.
• In a recent survey of internet users who identified themselves as 'extremely heavy email users', 1.8 percent 'totally agreed' or 'mostly agreed' with the statement, "Spam is ruining my life."
May 16, 2008
• The average coconut tree produces 16.47 lbs of coconuts per year.
• Only one golf round per 287 rounds played is completed with the same ball with which it was started.
• In the past 100 years the number of piano tuners in the U.S. has remained steady at 1 per 54,832 in population.
• Automatic chicken plucking machines can remove the feathers from an oven stuffer roaster in 2.1 seconds.
• Husbands and wives agree on what each other's best physical feature is in only one marriage out of 237.