December 31, 2009
• December 31 is the only day of the year during which there are more people on the island of Manhattan between 6:00 and 11:59 PM than between noon and 6:00 PM.
• Each year, more champagne is consumed to celebrate weddings than to celebrate the New Year.
• The portion of the population that is awake at 12:01 AM increases approximately 3.8 percent over the norm on New Year's Day. The portion of the population that is awake at 1:00 AM decreases approximately 18 percent over the norm on New Years day.
• In much of Indochina, it is considered bad luck to kiss anyone between sundown and midnight on December 31st.
• Approximately 14 percent of the population makes one or more New Year's resolutions. Approximately 98 percent of those resolutions are not kept for more than three weeks.