July 16, 2009
• Fewer english speaking people can explain when to use "lay" instead of "layed" or "lain" or "laid" than can explain when to use "fewer than" instead of "less than".
• U.S. Grant and William Tecumseh Sherman played each other in chess via mail throughout the Civil War and wagered on the outcome. At the end of the war Sherman owed Grant $502.58, 10 chickens and an acre of land in Missouri.
• As of January 2009, there were 18 men and 27 women incarcerated for more than 19 months in various United States institutions for violating local recycling ordinances.
• As of July 2009, thirty-eight percent of American-based web pages were proofread by people outside the United States.
• Ice cream shops along the New Jersey shore sell more ice cream than any other group of ice cream shops.