October 16, 2008
• Voldemort, the dark wizard of the Harry Potter series, was the most popular write-in candidate in the 2008 Republican primary election, easily beating perennial favorites such as Superman and Mickey Mouse.
• The Guinness Book of World Records gets about 150 applications annually for "cutest baby."
• Over 9,000 people in Des Moines, Iowa signed a petition urging the United States to immediately end its occupation of North America. The organizers wished to demonstrate that people often sign petitions without agreeing with them, but even they were surprised at the high level of support for American withdrawal.
• Over two-thirds of Americans polled agreed with Kurt Vonnegut, Jr.'s quip that "the world needs less love and more common decency."
• In honor of Rudyard Kipling's 140th birthday, Oxford University asked students how much they like Kipling. Nearly half responded that they'd never kipled.