July 4, 2008
• In Italy, the fireworks known as "Roman Candles" in the US, are called "Tiratori Americani" or, in English, "American Shooters" in Italy.
• More hot dogs are consumed on the Fourth of July than any other day of the year.
• Eighty-seven percent of American males over the age of 14 have exploded at least one firecracker.
• On at least three separate occasions, a bill has been introduced to Congress to make Independence Day occur on the first Monday in July. It has never made it out of committee.
• Each year from 1998 through 2007, the Fourth of July has had the lowest internet traffic of any day in the given year.