March 19, 2008
• Gaming and probability experts predict that one of the multi-state lottery games will have a jackpot in excess of one billion US dollars some time in the next 6.24 years if the rules for the current lotteries remain as they are currently constituted.
• The ancient Romans had a thriving "numbers racket" similar to the ones depicted in books and movies about the Mafia.
• The favorite wagering event for Samaritans was sheep shearing races.
• The average wager at horse and dog tracks in the United States is $15.217.
• Before the proliferation of the high intensity light emitting diode, Las Vegas consumed 1.6% of the world's annual industrial output of neon gas.