January 28, 2008
• In a confidential memo written in November 2007, music industry analysts are predicting that zydeco music will be the "next big thing" in pop music and will be more financially lucrative than disco.
• Among all bodies of water in the world that cover more than 500 hectares, Lake Maurepas in Louisiana, has the highest percentage of non-native fish inhabiting it.
• In a poll of 22,000 tourists who have visited at least 15 different regions of the United States, the Cajun dialect was voted "most charming" of all regional US dialects. Savannah, Georgia's drawl was runner up. Texas Twang ranked last.
• One of every twelve people who live within thirty-seven miles of New Iberia, LA, is descended from or married to a descendent of Francisco Segura, who emigrated from Malaga, Spain, in 1778.
• Twenty-three percent of the residents of Baton Rouge, LA, do not know that "baton rouge" means "red stick" in French.