June 21, 2007
• 26 percent of graduating high school seniors and 42 percent of graduating college seniors wear nothing more than shorts and a tee shirt under their gown.
• The average commencement address at high school graduation ceremonies lasts 26 minutes. In college ceremonies the address averages 42 minutes.
• In any given year, 24 percent of colleges and universities will have forbidden one or more students from taking part in the graduation ceremonies due to some rules infraction that occurred after classes ended.
• Sir Edward Elgar's Pomp and Circumstance March No. 1 is played at 98.76 percent of graduation ceremonies in the United States.
• Among graduates who throw their mortar board into the air at the end of the graduation ceremony, 69 percent do not get theirs back.