April 24, 2007
• If you are in New York City below 96th street and not in a private residence, you have a 9 percent chance of being on a surveillance camera at any given time. In central London, you have a 22.4 percent chance. The figure for Washington DC is classified.
• On most islands in the South Pacific, it is the custom to celebrate one's birthday on the first day of the month in which one is born. The Hallmark Company has introduced a marketing campaign to change that custom so as to keep demand for birthday cards more even throughout each month. The campaign is called, "You have a day -- keep it!"
• In Alaska there are 4.12 miles of usable railroad track for every mile of usable road. That ratio has been narrowing over the past 30 years due to tracks being abandoned rather than more roads being built.
• The municipality that had the highest ratio of bars per capita historically was Hoboken, NJ in 1943 when there was one bar for every 8.2 residents. Prior to that it had been Munich, Bavaria in 1691, which had an estimated one beerhall for every 7.7 residents.
• North Carolina has the highest percentage of people who say they find Creationism more believable than Evolution.