April 23, 2007
• Walter Cronkite and Edward R. Murrow used to converse only in French when speaking to each other.
• The average pine tree harvested for lumber produces 12.4 percent more usable material than trees from 20 years ago. Some of the increase is attributed to better farming techniques. Some is attributed to the higher CO2 levels in the atmosphere increasing the growth rate.
• The average golfer plays 23.2 rounds before recording his or her first par.
• EB White, author of Charlotte's Web, never ate pork, ham or bacon after the book was published.
• The netting in hockey goals are woven to withstand shots reaching 263 mile per hour without ripping.