March 2, 2007
• Approximately one-half of one percent of the annual world-wide output of the greenhouse gas carbon dioxide is due to soft drink carbonation. Despite the availability of a nearly no-cost switch to nitrogen, soda manufacturers are thus far refusing to make the change.
• The Apple iPhone has a hidden easter egg mode whereby it can mimic the ill-fated Apple Newton, complete with comically inaccurate handwriting recognition.
• The toll-free number (888) 888-8888 was recently purchased by Alliance Carpet Installation And Repair for $1.2 million in AT&T's first auction-format sale of a phone number.
• Despite its similarity to the kidney, navy, and pinto beans, the white bean is completely unrelated and is actually classified as a nut.
• The largest sand castle ever constructed was a half-size replica of the Taj Mahal built in Atlantic City, New Jersey in 1983.