November 8, 2006
Thanks to the Fact Check Forums for their great research on the American election process. Here's a sample of the fascinating factoids fact checkers Cadet and Athene managed to find.
• 58 percent of the 2006 Congressional candidates rated "obese" on the Body Mass Index Scale.
• In an average election, incumbents have a 81 percent chance of winning an election, even if they spend no money campaigning.
• Of all of the 2006 election candidates, only 23 percent reported having a "very active lifestyle" that included running and other aerobic exercise.
• In major election years, personal appearances by political figures (even those not running) increase by 217 percent over non-election years.
• Americans aged 18 to 39 are twice as likely to be registered Democrats as Americans aged 40 to 65.